TWEDDLE PLACE REAL ESTATE
Tweddle Place is one of the 27 neighbourhoods that make up Mill Woods. The Mill Woods land bank was assembled in 1970 by the Government of Alberta because of concern over the rising cost of serviced residential land in the Edmonton area. Mill Woods was named for Mill Creek, which crossed it, and the groves of Parkland forest trees that stood there.
By 1971, a development plan had been prepared by the City of Edmonton. The City began to purchase, subdivide, and sell residential and commercial building lots. Development began in 1973 and was all but complete by the end of the decade.
The housing mix in Tweddle Place reflects the “compact development” philosophy of early development in Mill Woods. 58 percent of the neighbourhood’s dwelling units are in single- and semi-detached homes, 14 percent are in row housing, and 29 percent in low-rise apartments. High-density housing is located along collector roadways.
The neighbourhood is bounded by arterial and collector roadways. Another collector road and bus route, Millbourne Road West, bisects it. Interior streets follow curvilinear and keyhole patterns. A number of strategically placed pathways, including a pipeline right-of-way, promote pedestrian and bicycle travel within the neighbourhood.
The focus of the neighbourhood is a multi-purpose school and recreational area. Tweddle Place and three adjoining neighbourhoods comprise the Millbourne Community, with a community shopping facility at the centre.
The residents of Tweddle Place are served by businesses in the Millbourne and Tweddle Place Shopping Centres, as well as the health services, commercial, recreational, and educational facilities of the nearby Mill Woods Town Centre.
Tweddle Place was named in honour of Malcolm Tweddle (1906–1977), a chartered accountant and former Edmonton City Commissioner.