TIPASKAN REAL ESTATE
Tipaskan is one of the 27 neighbourhoods that make up Mill Woods. The Mill Woods land bank was assembled in 1970 by the Government of Alberta because of concern over the rising cost of serviced residential land in the Edmonton area. Mill Woods was named for Mill Creek, which crossed it, and the groves of Parkland forest trees that stood there.
By 1971, a development plan had been prepared by the City of Edmonton. The City began to purchase the land, subdivide it, and sell residential and commercial building lots. Residential development in Tipaskan began in 1976. Most development was completed by the end of the decade, although some building continued into the 1980s and early 1990s.
The mix of housing in Tipaskan reflects a “compact development” philosophy: 50 percent of the dwelling units in Tipaskan are single- and semi-detached structures, 13 percent are in row housing, and 37 percent in low-rise apartments. High-density housing and commercial sites are located along collector roadways and near recreational areas.
The neighbourhood is bounded by arterial and collector roadways on all sides. A main collector road, Lakewood Road, bisects the neighbourhood, and the local bus route follows this road to strategically reach most riders throughout Tipaskan. Interior streets follow curvilinear and cul-de-sac patterns. A number of strategically placed pathways promote pedestrian and bicycle travel within the neighbourhood. Tipaskan is centred on a multi-purpose school and recreational site. A separate school site, located in southeast Tipaskan, serves the whole community of Lakewood.
Residents of Tipaskan are served by the businesses of Tipaskan Centre, as well as the health services, commercial, recreational, and educational facilities of the nearby Mill Woods Town Centre.
Tipaskan, a word meaning “a reserve” in the Cree language, recalls that the Mill Woods area was a Cree Indian reserve between 1876 and 1891.