RUNDLE HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE
In 1882, the area now called Rundle Heights consisted of two land holdings at the northeast corner of the Edmonton Settlement. In those days, a portion of the holdings (the flat land near 111th Avenue) was under construction. The area, located east of the Town of Beverly, remained a rural area beyond the limit of urban development until it was annexed to Edmonton in 1961, when Beverly was amalgamated with Edmonton.
Prior to the annexation and for a decade after, the Beverly landfill site was located on the east side of Rundle Heights. The site was filled and restored progressively from south to north. When the landfill site was closed in 1972, the area had been transformed into Rundle Park, a multi-purpose educational and recreational resource located in the North Saskatchewan River Valley.
Residential development in Rundle Heights, including small-scale row housing and apartment buildings, began in the neighbourhood’s southwest portion and proceeded north and east in the 1960s. Single-unit housing in the most easterly portion of Rundle Heights was built in the early 1970s. Residents in houses at the south and east borders of the neighbourhood enjoy a scenic view of Rundle Park and the river valley. Apartment and row house complexes in the north were added through the 1970s.
The curvilinear and cul-de-sac street pattern is characteristic of post-1960s subdivisions. An educational and recreational site is located at the centre of the neighbourhood’s low-density housing. Residents are served by businesses located off 118th Avenue, including those in the nearby Abbottsfield Mall.
Rundle Heights was named in honour of the Reverend Robert Rundle, the first Protestant missionary to take up residence in the Edmonton area. He was sent to Edmonton in 1840 by the Methodist Missionary Society at the request of the Hudson Bay Company. Mount Rundle near Banff, Alberta, also bears the missionary’s name.