PRINCE CHARLES REAL ESTATE
Located just west of the municipal airport lands in north central Edmonton, Prince Charles is situated on land owned, at the time of the first river lot and township surveys of the Edmonton Settlement, by N. McCauley and A. Wilson. The Wilson holding later became part of the Hagmann Estate.
The area was first subdivided in 1905 and was annexed to Edmonton in 1910. Development of Prince Charles was spurred by the extension of the electric street car line to the neighbourhood’s southern border in 1913 and a further extension up 127th Street, toward the railway hamlet of Calder, in 1916. Over time, Prince Charles developed as a low-density residential area. Non-residential development (including commercial, utility, transportation, and institutional land uses) is concentrated along 118th Avenue and the CNR right-of-way to the east, as well as in the northeast corner of the neighbourhood.
The final surge of residential development occurred during the late 1940s and 1950s, when the demand for residential lots finally caught up to the supply. The residential housing stock in Prince Charles is varied, spanning approximately 100 years of development. Homes built before World War II sit next to new homes built in the 2000s. Most residential units in the neighbourhood are single-detached dwellings, but there are some semi-detached homes and low-rise apartment units located throughout the neighbourhood.
Prince Charles Park is located in the centre of the neighbourhood, and Prince Charles Elementary School is located in the neighbourhood’s northwest corner.
This neighbourhood was originally known as North Inglewood. In 1953, the existing elementary school was renamed in honour of HRH Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales. The name was adopted by the commercial league, which petitioned to formally apply the name to the neighbourhood.