PATRICIA HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE
Patricia Heights lies west of 156th Street and south of Whitemud Drive. Patricia Ravine forms the south and west boundaries and provides one of the key features of this neighbourhood.
The neighbourhood was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1964 as part of a large block of land, which was located between 149th Street and 170th Street and extended from the North Saskatchewan River to 123A Avenue. The majority of the neighbourhood was developed during the 1960s, and residential construction was completed in the 1970s. Many of the homes in Patricia Heights overlook the ravine.
Residential land use is evenly split between low- and medium-density housing types. Single-detached homes make up just less than 50 percent of all housing units within the neighbourhood, and low- and medium-rise apartment buildings make up the remainder of the housing stock. Higher-density housing is clustered in the northeastern portion of the neighbourhood along 156th Street.
The Patricia Heights Elementary School is located along the northern border of the neighbourhood, and a small commercial centre is located off 156th Street. Residents of Patricia Heights are a short drive from health and commercial facilities at Meadowlark Health and Shopping Centre and West Edmonton Mall. The Jewish Community Centre and Beth Ora Reform Synagogue are located in the southern part of the neighbourhood overlooking the ravine.
Patricia Heights was named after Princess Patricia, daughter of a Governor-General of Canada and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. After marrying Sir Alexander Ramsay in 1919, a commoner and Naval Officer Commander, Princess Patricia relinquished her royal title and was known after as Lady Patricia Ramsay.