OVERLANDERS REAL ESTATE
Overlanders is one of three neighbourhoods located within the Hermitage plan area. In 1875, an Anglican minister, Canon William Newton, arrived in the Edmonton settlement and built his first church, a home, and a hospital in an area he called the Hermitage. The Reverend Newton’s home remained there for more than 25 years. During that time, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway line formalized the area’s south boundary along the railroad right-of-way.
Land in the Hermitage area was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1961. Land development was held up during the 1960s while government officials and developers addressed concerns about residential development too near the industrial plants in the vicinity. By 1970, these concerns were resolved, and Overlanders was included within the Hermitage Outline Plan area. The neighbourhood was subdivided in 1977, and building commenced within a year.
Almost all of the neighbourhood’s single-family houses and one-third of the row houses were built by the end of the 1970s. Apartment housing and the majority of row housing structures were constructed during the 1980s.
Linkage to other Hermitage neighbourhoods is provided by collector roads and a system of bicycle and pedestrian pathways. Located at the centre of the neighbourhood is a multi-purpose educational and recreational site. Overlanders residents can access river valley parks directly on the neighbourhood’s north side or by following roadways or paths through Canon Ridge to the east.
The neighbourhood was named Overlanders to commemorate a group of miners who travelled by Red River cart from Fort Gary to the Cariboo gold fields. A number of the miners abandoned this trek and settled in Edmonton in 1862. Victoria Trail, on the east boundary of Overlanders, was named after a pair of trails that ran parallel to the North Saskatchewan River from the earliest days of the Edmonton settlement. After 1864, the trail followed the river northeast to the Methodist mission at Victoria.