ORMSBY PLACE REAL ESTATE
Located in West Edmonton, Ormsby Place is bounded on the west by the transportation/utility corridor (TUC), on the south by Callingwood Road, on the north by 69th Avenue, and on the east by 178th Street. Ormsby Place is surrounded by other residential neighbourhoods: Lymburn to the north, Callingwood South to the east, and Jamieson Place and Dechene to the south.
Development in Ormsby Place started in the 1970s and 1980s and continued on into the early 2000s. The western third of the neighbourhood, bordering the TUC, developed after the eastern two-thirds of the neighbourhood. Because the neighbourhood developed in two distinct phases, the layout of the neighbourhood varies slightly between the east and west.
In the western portion, the streets are all curvilinear, jutting off from the circular Ormsby Road collector roadway, and homes are oriented around the central park space. In the eastern portion of the neighbourhood, homes are oriented along loop and cul-de-sac roads that are connected with a series of small collector roads.
Slightly over half of all residential units in Ormsby Place are single-detached dwellings. Many of the row housing units were built in the 1970s and are located around the Ormsby Elementary School, along with parks and community facilities. Row housing currently accounts for 38 percent and low-rise apartments for 8 percent of all dwelling units.
Ormsby Place was named in recognition of A.W. Ormsby (1869–1961), who introduced the present grid system of numbering streets and avenues in Edmonton. Ormsby was the superintendent of Edmonton’s electric light department for 20 years, and he was the City Commissioner in 1918–1920.