MILLER REAL ESTATE
The Miller neighbourhood is located within the Casselman-Heights District Outline Plan area, between the Casselman neighbourhood to the west and the Ebbers neighbourhood to the east. It is bounded to the north by 153rd Avenue, the west by 50th Street, and the southeast by Manning Drive.
Prior to urban development, Miller was designated for agricultural land use, with a small portion of the area actively cultivated. The neighbourhood began developing in the late 1990s and experienced the majority of its development during the early 2000s. The design objective for the Miller neighbourhood was to create a residential community that would provide a variety of housing opportunities, and to cluster non-residential land uses in the southern portion of the neighbourhood. Dwelling units within the neighbourhood consist of single-detached, semi-detached, linked row housing, stacked row housing, and low-rise apartments.
Two pipeline rights-of way cross the neighbourhood in the north, and their surfaces have been integrated with the pedestrian transportation network of the community. The school and park site located in the west-central area of the neighbourhood provides a large open space for residents. Additionally, a one-hectare naturalized wetland park provides natural amenity space and a community focal point.
Residents have excellent access to amenities in other parts of the city via 50th Street and the nearby Clareview Light Rail Transit (LRT) station.
This neighbourhood was named after Abe William Miller (1897–1964), a Hungarian-born lawyer, politician, and community volunteer. After immigrating to Canada in 1899 with his parents, Miller moved to Edmonton in 1914, graduating from the University of Alberta in 1925. Miller practiced law for 40 years, served as a member of City Council for six years, and served two years as a member of the Alberta Legislature.