KINISKI GARDENS REAL ESTATE
Kiniski Gardens is one of the 27 neighbourhoods that make up Mill Woods. The Government of Alberta assembled the Mill Woods land bank in 1970. Mill Woods was named for Mill Creek, which crossed it, and the groves of Parkland forest trees that stood there.
By 1971, a development plan had been prepared by the City of Edmonton. The City began to purchase the land, subdivide it, and sell residential and commercial building lots. The Jackson Heights neighbourhood lies directly northwest of Kiniski Gardens; together, the two neighbourhoods make up the Burnewood Neighbourhood Area Structure Plan.
Kiniski Gardens is a triangle-shaped neighbourhood bounded on the east by 34th Street, on the northwest by a pipeline utility corridor, and on the southwest by part of the Mill Creek Ravine. The dominant residential structure type in the neighbourhood is the single-detached house (94 percent), with a limited number of low-rise apartment units and semi-detached homes.
Proximity to the Mill Creek Ravine provides residents with access to a large natural amenity area. The focus of the neighbourhood is a pair of multi-purpose school/recreational sites. Residents are served by businesses on small commercial sites along 50th Street and 34th Street.
Kiniski Gardens was named in honour of Polish-born Julia Kiniski (1899–1969), a dedicated local politician. Kiniski ran for election as a city alderman 10 times before she finally succeeded in 1963. She was only the third woman in Edmonton’s history to hold a seat on the council.