KERNOHAN REAL ESTATE
Kernohan is located south of 137th Avenue and east of Victoria Trail. The area was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1961 and became part of the Clareview district in 1972. Much of the residential land in Kernohan was developed during the 1970s, when Edmonton was experiencing an oil-driven economic boom.
Multi-unit housing is an integral part of the neighbourhood and residences located along Victoria Trail. Approximately one-third of the dwelling units in the neighbourhood are in row housing structures. Kernohan Park and Ann Fitzgerald Catholic Elementary School are located at the centre of the neighbourhood. The North Saskatchewan River valley forms Kernohan's eastern boundary, and the Kennedale Ravine forms the southern boundary. These provide local residents with access to natural park systems.
Kernohan is named after James Kernohan, who was an early pioneer farmer and coal miner. In 1884, Kernohan came with his family to Alberta from Ontario. He operated a grocery store from 1884 to 1899.