JACKSON HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE
Jackson Heights is one of the 27 neighbourhoods that make up Mill Woods. The Government of Alberta assembled the Mill Woods land bank in 1970. Mill Woods was named for Mill Creek, which crossed it, and the groves of Parkland forest trees that stood there.
By 1971, a development plan had been prepared by the City of Edmonton. The City began to purchase the land, subdivide it and sell residential and commercial building lots. Jackson Heights is a triangle-shaped neighbourhood bounded to the west by 50th Street and to the north by Whitemud Drive and a utility corridor, which has been developed into open green space. Part of the Mill Creek Ravine crosses through the southern portion of the neighbourhood. The focus of the neighbourhood is a multi-purpose school and recreational area. Residents are served by businesses on a small commercial site along 50th Street.
The neighbourhood is named in honour of Annie B. Jackson, who in 1912 became the first female police officer in Canada. She received worldwide acclaim when her photograph appeared on the front page of the London Daily Mirror on August 8, 1913.
Several streets in Jackson Heights are also named after historical figures. Jamha Road is named for Sam Jamha, founder of the first Muslim mosque in North America. Joyce Crescent and Road are named in honour of Annie C. Joyce, a librarian who served for 41 years in Edmonton’s main libraries. Jefferys Crescent is named in honour of Mr. Charles W. Jefferys, Canada’s greatest artist-historian. And Jordan Crescent is named in honour of the Reverend Anthony Jordan, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Edmonton.