INGLEWOOD REAL ESTATE
Inglewood is located on land that was previously owned by J. Norris Sr. and R. Logan in 1882. Norris was a Scottish-born Hudson Bay Company employee who became a wagon freighter, a saw mill operator, and a partner in a local merchandising firm, Norris and Carey. The property, which was situated on the trail between St. Albert and Edmonton, was an area favoured by First Nations communities for campsites while they did their business in the city until the 1920s.
The Inglewood area was annexed to Edmonton in two stages in 1904 and 1920. Development in the area was spurred by the extension of the electric streetcar line to Alberta (118th) Avenue via 124th Street in 1913. Street car service continued until 1948.
Inglewood developed as a low-density residential neighbourhood until the 1950s, but this began to change from the 1950s onward. By 2006, low-density residential units in Inglewood made up only 20 percent of units, while the greatest proportion on units were found in medium- and high-density residential structures.
The Westmount Shopping Centre was built in 1955 in the adjacent Woodcroft neighbourhood. Inglewood’s proximity and access to shopping and employment centres fostered apartment development along major traffic routes and commercial corridors.
The name “Inglewood” was used on a 1905 plan of the subdivision and is now applied to the neighbourhood.