HUDSON REAL ESTATE
The Hudson neighbourhood is located within the Palisades Area Structure Plan in north Edmonton. Hudson is bounded on the east by the commercial area fronting 127th Street, on the north by Cumberland Road, and on the west by an existing industrial area and 140th Street. The southern boundary of the neighbourhood is delineated by the commercial development fronting onto 137th Avenue. The northwest corner of the neighbourhood is defined by its border with the Cumberland neighbourhood. Hudson Road provides the main collector road through the neighbourhood.
The land uses surrounding Hudson include industrial to the west, commercial to the south and east, and residential uses to the north. The intent of the plan for Hudson was to integrate the residential lands with the Cumberland neighbourhood to the north, while separating and buffering the commercial and business industrial lands to the south and west.
While a limited number of residential units were built in the 1990s, residential construction began in earnest in the early 2000s. The neighbourhood features low-density single-detached homes and some low-rise multi-unit buildings. As of 2009, Hudson was still under construction; some residential parcels, located primarily along the eastern border of the neighbourhood, remained undeveloped. A stormwater management pond and pedestrian pathways in the northeastern corner of the neighbourhood provide residents with access to open space.
The neighbourhood features good access to commercial and employment centres close to the residential areas. The nearby St. Albert Trail, as well as Anthony Henday Drive and Yellowhead Trail, also provide excellent access to the rest of the city.
Following in the naming convention of the Palisades area, all neighbourhood names are derived from famous forts. Hudson is named after the Hudson’s Bay Company post and Hudson House, located 40 kilometres west of present-day Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Hudson House was built by William Tomison in 1779. Hudson's Bay Company was named after Henry Hudson, who first entered the Hudson Bay area in 1610.