FOREST HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE

Forest Heights is bounded on the northwest by the North Saskatchewan River valley, on the south by 98th Avenue, and on the east by Wayne Gretzky Drive and 75th Street. Construction in Forest Heights occurred primarily between 1940 and 1960; development was largely complete by 1980.

The dominant structure type along the quiet interior streets is the single-family house, which accounts for approximately 75 percent of the neighbourhood's residences. The remaining 25 percent is made up of low-rise apartments and row housing.

The North Saskatchewan River Valley is a prominent feature for residents. Forest Heights sits atop the south bank of the valley where the river makes a bend from the north to east. A view of the river valley is possible on the west, north, and east sides of the neighbourhood.

Forest Heights' street network is a combination of grid and modified grid patterns. Three roadways pass through the neighbourhood: 101st Avenue, 106th Avenue, and 79th Street. These serve as access routes to North Edmonton via four valley bridges. The neighbourhood’s commercial and higher density residential land uses are concentrated along these roadways.

Forest Heights was initially developed in 1911 by Windsor Realty. It is assumed that James H. McKinley, owner of Windsor Realty and an Edmonton alderman from 1909 to 1911, chose the neighbourhood name. The neighbourhood officially became part of Edmonton in 1913 but remained in agricultural use until the 1940s, when housing demand increased significantly after World War II.

41 Properties
Page 1 of 4