CARLTON REAL ESTATE
The Carlton neighbourhood is located in the northwest corner of residential Edmonton. Carlton is bounded on the north by 167th Avenue, on the east by the Oxford neighbourhood at 133rd Street, on the south by the Cumberland neighbourhood at 153rd Avenue, and on the west at 142nd Street and the railway line.
Prior to residential development, the area was used primarily for agricultural cultivation, and the southern portion of the neighbourhood was used for industrial purposes in the late 1970s. While a handful of residences were constructed in the 1990s, the bulk of construction started in the early 2000s, and much of the neighbourhood was still awaiting development as of 2008.
Carlton is predominantly a low-density residential community characterized by single- and semi-detached housing. Medium-density residential units are planned for the southwestern portions of the community. The proposed housing mix between low-and medium-density housing is anticipated to be 76 percent and 24 percent, respectively, once the neighbourhood is fully built out.
There are several natural areas within the neighbourhood, including a woodlot containing indigenous species, located in the northwestern portion of the neighbourhood. A focal point for Carlton is the south-centrally located stormwater management facility, which provides some amenity and open space for residents.
This neighbourhood is named after Fort Carlton. Following the naming convention for the Palisades area, all neighbourhoods are named after fur trade forts, posts, or houses. Fort Carlton, located near the junction of the North and South Saskatchewan Rivers, was established by the Hudson Bay Company as a fur trade and provision post in 1798. The strategic location of Fort Carlton made it a focal point for trade and commerce in the west.