BLUE QUILL REAL ESTATE
Blue Quill is part of an area that was annexed by Edmonton in 1971. Prior to urban development, the Kaskitayo area was in agricultural use and home to 18 farmsteads, ten of which were still operating at the time the Kaskitayo Outline plan was being prepared (in 1973). Blue Quill’s development began shortly after annexation, and while the bulk of the housing construction took place between 1971 and 1980, it continued slowly through the early 2000s.
A suburban neighbourhood, Blue Quill contains a mix of single and semi-detached residences, row housing complexes, and apartments. A commercial centre is located in the northern part of the community along Saddleback Road, and school and park sites are located towards the interior of the neighbourhood. Blackmud Creek Ravine is located just southwest of the neighbourhood and is one of the most significant natural features within the vicinity.
Keeping with the naming theme of honouring Aboriginal leaders within Kaskitayo, Blue Quill is named in honour of Cree Chief Blue Quill of the Saddle Lake Indian Reserve, which was established in 1889. In the late 1890s, Chief Blue Quill traded in Edmonton.