BLUE QUILL ESTATES
Blue Quill Estates is the westernmost portion of the Kaskitayo Outline Plan Area. The land was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1971.
Residential development began in the early 1970s. The neighbourhood includes a variety of housing from apartments and row houses, located along the neighbourhood’s major access route, to spacious single-unit homes on large lots overlooking the Whitemud Creek Ravine.
One area of housing was built using a comprehensive plan under the City’s RPL (Residential Planned Lot) land use regulations. The Blue Quill Estates RPL development provides an attractive example of large houses on small lots. The intent of the plan was to improve the efficiency of the use of land and municipal services.
The focus of the neighbourhood is a centrally located multi-purpose recreational site. The Whitemud Creek Ravine to the west and the Blackmud Creek Ravine to the south of Blue Quill Estates offer opportunities for all-season outdoor recreation in a natural setting. A number of strategically placed pathways promote pedestrian and bicycle travel within the neighbourhood and ravines.
Keeping with the naming theme of honouring Aboriginal leaders within Kaskitayo, Blue Quill is named in honour of Cree Chief Blue Quill of the Saddle Lake Indian Reserve, which was established in 1889. Chief Blue Quill traded in Edmonton in the late 1890s.