BELGRAVIA REAL ESTATE
A mature, quiet, low-density neighbourhood, Belgravia at one time was the southwest terminus for the Edmonton Radial railway. The neighbourhood began to be developed in 1912 when Robert Tegler, who built the Tegler Building (demolished in 1982), put the area on the real estate market. The area’s quiet nature is linked to its semi-isolated setting, as it is bounded on two sides by the river valley and ravine system. The McKernan neighbourhood lies to the east.
Bungalows, semi-bungalows, and two-storeys in a range of sizes face well-treed streets. While the majority of development occurred prior to 1960 and is single-family residential, a variety of housing exists in Belgravia, with higher density housing types located towards the edges of the neighbourhood.
In the early 2000s, the former Workers Compensation Board (WCB) site, located at the south end of the neighbourhood overlooking Fox Drive, was sold and redeveloped as single-family housing. This redevelopment, while more dense than subdivision patterns from previous construction eras, provides a sympathetic infill design within this mature community.
The city’s LRT line was extended along the eastern edge of the neighbourhood in late 2008—with a new stop established on 76th Avenue to connect the existing transit system with the U of A south campus—and then further south to the Century Park redevelopment at the site of the former Heritage Mall. While already well served by bus connections, the new LRT station significantly enhances transit accessibility for Belgravia’s residents.
Many of Belgravia’s populace are long-time residents and enjoy easy access to the North Saskatchewan River Valley, the University of Alberta hospital, the U of A north and south campuses, and the popular Whyte Avenue commercial area. There is also a small commercial area within the neighbourhood, located along 76th Avenue.
Belgravia is named after a fashionable residential section of 19th-century London.