BEARSPAW REAL ESTATE
Bearspaw is located on land that was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1974. The neighbourhood is within the southern portion of the Kaskitayo Plan Area. The neighbourhood is centred on a multi-purpose recreational site that includes Bearspaw Lake, a permanent stormwater retention pond. A canal runs between the pond and the neighbourhood’s eastern boundary.
Residential development began in the late 1970s, but most building occurred in the 1980s. Single-family dwelling units comprise 72 percent of the housing in Bearspaw, although a number of semi-detached and row housing sites are also located within the neighbourhood. A collector road and bus route curves through the neighbourhood around the central recreation and residential area. The interior residential streets are a mixture of curvilinear and cul-de-sac patterns. Two pipeline rights-of-way cross the neighbourhood from the southwest to northeast, adding to the neighbourhood’s open space.
The Anthony Henday ring-road is located directly south of the neighbourhood. Bearspaw residents have ready access to the Blackmud Creek Ravine recreational area to the west of the neighbourhood. There are no businesses in Bearspaw; however, a small shopping centre is located to the north in Keheewin.
Bearspaw was named in honour of Chief Masgwaahisd (Bear’s Paw) of the Stoney Band, who signed Band Treaty Number 7 at Blackfoot Crossing in 1877. It was through Bear’s Paw’s authority that armed confrontation over the treaty signing negotiations was averted. All of the names in the Kaskitayo area honour Aboriginal leaders.